Home > DARE Reviews > Sunitinib adverse events in metastatic...

PubMed Health. A service of the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.

Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE): Quality-assessed Reviews [Internet]. York (UK): Centre for Reviews and Dissemination (UK); 1995-.

Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effects (DARE): Quality-assessed Reviews [Internet].

Sunitinib adverse events in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a meta-analysis

Review published: 2013.

Bibliographic details: Ibrahim EM, Kazkaz GA, Abouelkhair KM, Bayer AM, Elmasri OA.  Sunitinib adverse events in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a meta-analysis. International Journal of Clinical Oncology 2013; 18(6): 1060-1069. [PubMed: 23179639]

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Sunitinib, a multi-targeted receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, has demonstrated survival benefit in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC); however, significant adverse events (AEs) have been associated with its use. The significant variation in the reported incidences of AEs has prompted this meta-analysis to quantify the risk and explore associated predictors.

METHODS: According to predefined selection criteria, a literature search identified 12 studies that were included in the analyses.

RESULTS: The meta-analysis included 5,658 patients; 66 % patients had prior systemic therapy whereas the remaining patients (34 %) received sunitinib in the first-line setting. For any grade toxicity, skin rash, fatigue, diarrhea, and mucositis were the most frequently encountered events (81, 52, 45, and 33 %, respectively). Anemia, neutropenia, or thrombocytopenia of any grade occurred in more than one-third of patients, although grades 3 or 4 were less common. Any grade raised by liver enzymes or serum creatinine occurred in 40 and 44 % of patients, respectively. Meta-regression analyses showed that study size was inversely related to the risk of experiencing fatigue, diarrhea, mucositis, anemia, and thrombocytopenia. In particular, the incidence of AEs was higher when sunitinib was used in pretreated versus naive patients; however, there was no significant difference between the two groups concerning the incidence of laboratory abnormalities. We addressed the limitations of reporting AEs in clinical studies.

CONCLUSIONS: The present meta-analysis quantified sunitinib-associated AEs. The derived estimates would be similar to that to be expected from the use of sunitinib in community practice in unselected patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC).

CRD has determined that this article meets the DARE scientific quality criteria for a systematic review.

Copyright © 2014 University of York.

PMID: 23179639

PubMed Health Blog...

read all...

Recent Activity

Your browsing activity is empty.

Activity recording is turned off.

Turn recording back on

See more...