RecommendationNo recommendation was made
Relative values of different outcomesNot applicable
Trade off between clinical benefits and harmsNot applicable
Economic considerationsNo economic evidence was identified. If routine clinical indicators are used, costs are negligible.
Quality of evidenceBoth risk scores were derived from selected patient populations that may not be representative of the wider population of patients with stable angina. The Euroheart score was developed from 75% of the total Euroheart survey population (derivation cohort) and tested in the remaining 25% of the population.

The population used to develop the ACTION score was derived from the randomised ACTION trial, which enrolled patients with previous MI, or angiographic or other evidence of coronary heart disease.

The available risk scores have not been validated in populations other than the cohorts in which they were developed.
Other considerationsThe GDG recognised that given the low event rate in stable angina a large cohort is required when developing a predictive model in a general angina population. The GDG did not consider that the evidence was sufficient to recommend using clinical risk scores but acknowledged that the clinical factors identified in the Euroheart study can result in a poorer outcome.

From: 14, Risk scores

Cover of Stable Angina
Stable Angina: Methods, Evidence & Guidance [Internet].
NICE Clinical Guidelines, No. 126.
National Clinical Guidelines Centre (UK).
Copyright © 2011, National Clinical Guidelines Centre.

Apart from any fair dealing for the purposes of research or private study, criticism or review, as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored or transmitted in any form or by any means, without the prior written permission of the publisher or, in the case of reprographic reproduction, in accordance with the terms of licences issued by the Copyright Licensing Agency in the UK. Enquiries concerning reproduction outside the terms stated here should be sent to the publisher at the UK address printed on this page.

The use of registered names, trademarks, etc. in this publication does not imply, even in the absence of a specific statement, that such names are exempt from the relevant laws and regulations and therefore for general use.

The rights of the National Clinical Guidelines Centre to be identified as Author of this work have been asserted by them in accordance with the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988.

PubMed Health. A service of the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.