Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Blood. 2009 Jul 30;114(5):957-64. doi: 10.1182/blood-2009-03-210591. Epub 2009 May 4.

De novo deletion 17p13.1 chronic lymphocytic leukemia shows significant clinical heterogeneity: the M. D. Anderson and Mayo Clinic experience.

Author information

1
Leukemia Department, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA.

Abstract

To determine the clinical fate of patients with de novo deletion 17p13.1 (17p-) chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), we retrospectively studied the outcome of 99 treatment-naive 17p- CLL patients from the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (n = 64) and the Mayo Clinic (n = 35). Among 67 asymptomatic patients followed for progression, 53% developed CLL requiring treatment over 3 years. Patients who had not progressed by 18 months subsequently had stable disease, with 3 of 19 patients progressing after follow-up of up to 70 months. Risk factors for progressive disease were Rai stage of 1 or higher and unmutated immunoglobulin variable region heavy chain (IgVH). The overall survival rate was 65% at 3 years. Rai stage 1 or higher, unmutated IgVH, and 17p- in 25% or more of nuclei were adverse factors for survival. The 3-year survival rates of patients with 1 or fewer, 2, and 3 of these factors were 95%, 74%, and 22%, respectively (P < .001). Response rates to therapy with rituximab (n = 6); purine analogues and rituximab (n = 25); and purine analogues, rituximab, and alemtuzumab (n = 16) combinations were 50%, 72%, and 81%, respectively. Patients with 17p- CLL exhibit clinical heterogeneity, with some patients experiencing an indolent course. Survival can be predicted using clinical and biologic characteristics.

PMID:
19414856
PMCID:
PMC4916942
DOI:
10.1182/blood-2009-03-210591
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for HighWire Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center