Format

Send to

Choose Destination

See 1 citation found using an alternative search:

Scand J Urol. 2014 Jun;48(3):290-4. doi: 10.3109/21681805.2013.840857. Epub 2013 Oct 9.

Transurethral microwave thermotherapy treatment of chronic urinary retention in patients unsuitable for surgery.

Author information

1
Department of Urology, Frederiksberg Hospital , Frederiksberg , Denmark.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

The aim of this study was to evaluate transurethral microwave thermotherapy (TUMT) in the treatment of chronic urinary retention due to benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in patients unsuitable for surgery.

MATERIAL AND METHODS:

The study enrolled 124 patients with chronic urinary retention due to BPH. The median age was 80 years (61-92 years). Of the enrolled patients, 77 (62%) were assessed by an anaesthesiologist as being unsuitable for surgery owing to cardiac, pulmonary, neurological or other diseases. Overall, 115 patients (93%) had an indwelling catheter. The remaining nine patients (7%) performed clean intermittent self-catheterization. The treatment was performed under local anaesthesia in the outpatient department using the ProstaLund Coretherm Device. At the 6-month follow-up, the Danish version of the International Prostate Symptom Score (DAN-PSS), postvoiding residual volume and urinary peak flow were measured. Improvement in quality of life was also registered.

RESULTS:

The success of TUMT was assessed by looking at the percentage of patients relieved of their catheter and by the improvement in quality of life. Overall, 77% of patients were relieved of their catheter and 79% reported an improvement in their quality of life.

CONCLUSION:

In this study, both the median age and the percentage of patients unsuitable for surgery were larger than in previous studies. Despite this, TUMT relieved 77% of their catheter and 79% reported an improvement in their quality of life. This study shows that TUMT is an effective treatment for patients unsuitable for surgery and with chronic urinary retention.

KEYWORDS:

Benign prostatic hyperplasia; PLFT; TUMT; chronic retention; microwave thermotherapy

PMID:
24102183
DOI:
10.3109/21681805.2013.840857
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Taylor & Francis
Loading ...
Support Center