Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Med Pregl. 1998 Sep-Oct;51(9-10):457-68.

[Development of orthopedics and founding of the Clinic for Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology in Novi Sad].

[Article in Croatian]

Author information

1
Klinika za ortopedsku hirurgiju i traumatologiju, Medicinski fakultet, Novi Sad.

Abstract

A study of the development of the orthopaedic surgery in Novi Sad from the antique times till 1980 when the Clinic for Orthopaedic. Surgery and Traumatology was established has been carried out. Development from Roman Times till the Second World War. The first material evidence of the surgical activities in this area originates from the epoch of the Roman Empire, when under the emperor Augustus (Augustus, 27 B.C.-14 A.D.), the northern border of the Empire was established and fortified on the river Danube. At that time on the place of the contemporary Petrovaradin Fortress, a small fortification with a permanent garrison, called Cusum, was built. As it was proved by excavation of the surgical instruments from the Roman time at the nearby Sremska Mitrovica (Sirmium) the surgery in the Roman legions was quite developed and it could be concluded that some forms of surgery and orthopaedics were practised in the antique Cusum as well. There is no reliable evidence about the health service in the area after the Roman era till the 1689 when Petrovaradin was finally sized by Austrian troops from the Turks, and when the first recorded hospital (Petrovaradin Military Hospital) in this region was founded. At that time on the northern shore of the river Danube a new settlement, developing later into the town of Novi Sad, was established. Surgery together with orthopaedics at that time were performed by the so-called "feldschers", and then by primitive, self-taught surgeons who were actually experienced barbers, while educated doctors started to practice surgery only in the 19th century when the first surgical department in Novi Sad was founded in the Great Town Hospital, and for years after that, the orthopaedics was practised by general surgeons. The foundation of the Anglo-Yugoslav Children's Hospital for Tuberculosis of the Bones and Joints at Sremska Kamenica in 1934 by Dr. Katherine S. Macphail, a great benefactress of our people, was of great importance for the development of orthopaedics in this area as it was the first orthopaedic hospital in the country. The first small unit for orthopaedics, as a part of the Surgical Department of the Novi Sad State Hospital, was established in 1937 and led by a surgeon, Dr. Nikola Pravdica. Development from the Second World War till the 1980. After the Second World War the Main Provincial Hospital with two surgical departments was established in Novi Sad. At the so-called Second Surgical Department led by Dr. Nestor Teodorovic a small unit for traumatology and orthopaedics was founded in 1946, which functioned as such till 1953. The first properly trained orthopaedic surgeon was Dr. Stojan Letic who passed the specialty exam in 1953 and was attached to the Second Surgical Department of the Main Provincial Hospital. The first independent Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Department, led by an experienced orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Vladimir Razenj, was established in 1956. From 1959 till 1963 the department was led by Prim. Dr. Dobrivoje Gradistanac. In 1963 this department together with the former "English Hospital" at Sremska Kamenica were incorporated into the so-called Clinic for Surgical Diseases and divided in the Orthopaedic (led by Prof. Milenko Dosen) and separated Traumatologic (led by Prim. Stojan Letić) departments which existed as such till 1975 when they were integrated again into a single unit which evolved into the Clinic for Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology in 1980.

PMID:
9863339
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center