Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Lung Cancer. 1998 Sep;21(3):213-20.

Combination chemotherapy with docetaxel, vinorelbine and cisplatin as first-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a multicenter phase II study of the Greek Cooperative Group for Lung Cancer.

Author information

1
Department of Medical Oncology, University General Hospital of Heraklion, Crete, Greece.

Abstract

Vinorelbine, docetaxel and cisplatin have documented single-agent activity in non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC); a multicenter phase II trial was initiated in order to evaluate the tolerance and efficacy of their combination. A total of 24 chemotherapy-naive patients with measurable stage IIIB or IV NSCLC and performance status (PS; WHO) 0-2 entered the study. Vinorelbine (20 mg/m2 i.v.) was given on days 1 and 15, cisplatin (60 mg/m2) on day 1, and docetaxel (100 mg/m2) on day 16, in cycles of 28 days. Recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (150 microg/m2 s.c.) was administered prophylactically from day 17 to day 27. One pathological complete (4%) and six partial responses (25%) were documented (overall response 29%; 95% CI 11.6-49.2%). A total of five patients (21%) had stable and 12 (50%) progressive disease. The median duration of response was 28 weeks and the median time to tumor progression 36 weeks; the median survival was 20 weeks. Grade 3-4 neutropenia occurred in 16 patients (67%) while 13 of them (54%) developed febrile neutropenia. Grade 4 mucositis occurred in two patients (8%) and one of them also presented grade 4 diarrhea. There were four treatment-related deaths: two from sepsis, one from massive hemoptysis due to a pulmonary abscess and one from acute myocardial ischemia 7 days post-chemotherapy. In conclusion, the high incidence of neutropenic episodes and treatment-related deaths led to an early discontinuation of patient enrollment. This combination, in the schedule and the doses used, could not be recommended for off protocol treatment of patients with advanced NSCLC.

PMID:
9857999
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center