Format

Send to

Choose Destination
JAMA. 1998 Jul 22-29;280(4):363-5.

Role of seroconversion in confirming cure of Helicobacter pylori infection.

Author information

1
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at Dallas, USA. feldman.mark@dallas.va.gov

Abstract

CONTEXT:

The role of serologic testing to confirm cure of Helicobacter pylori infection after antimicrobial therapy is not completely defined.

OBJECTIVE:

To determine the utility of serologic testing in confirming cure of H pylori infection more than 1 year after therapy.

DESIGN:

A prospective, before-after interventional trial.

SETTING:

An outpatient clinical research laboratory in an academic, urban Veterans Affairs medical center.

PARTICIPANTS:

Twenty-three otherwise healthy men and women with active H pylori infection demonstrated by gastric biopsy and with positive H pylori serologic findings.

INTERVENTION:

A 14-day course of bismuth, tetracycline, and metronidazole.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:

Determination of IgG serum antibodies to H pylori at baseline, 1 month, 3 months, and approximately 18 months after completion of therapy compared with serial gastric mucosal biopsy specimens with stains for H pylori and for histologic examination as the criterion standard.

RESULTS:

Fifteen (65%) of 23 subjects were cured of their H pylori infection as assessed by gastric biopsy, with elimination of gastritis; median antibody levels declined from 92.5 U/mL at baseline to undetectable levels at 18 months. The other 8 subjects (35%) were not cured and had persistent gastritis at 18 months; median antibody levels declined from 130.6 U/mL at baseline to 89.7 U/mL at 18 months. Sensitivity and specificity of seroconversion (from a positive to negative test result) in detecting cure of H pylori infection were 60% and 100%, respectively.

CONCLUSION:

Undetectable antibody levels beyond the first year of therapy accurately confirm cure of H pylori infection in initially seropositive healthy subjects, with reasonable sensitivity.

PMID:
9686554
DOI:
10.1001/jama.280.4.363
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Silverchair Information Systems
Loading ...
Support Center