Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below

Laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy: report of 190 cases.

Author information

  • 1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, St. Charles Hospital, Oregon, Ohio 43616-7636, USA.


We report 190 cases where laparoscopy assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH) was used as a primary procedure when the patients were not suitable candidates for a vaginal hysterectomy (VH) either because of lack of prolapse or multiple abdominal surgeries. All the surgeries were done by the same gynecologist. A total of 209 cases were performed, but 8 cases (3.8%) have been converted to TAH because of intraoperative bleeding or severe adhesions. The remaining 201 (96.2%) cases have been completed as LAVH. In this study we have evaluated only 190 cases as 19 cases had additional associated surgeries or incomplete records. The average operating time was 117+/-25.9 min, the intraoperative blood loss was 242.3+/-213.3 mL, and the average hospitalization was 0.7+/-0.7 days. Although the operating time and intraoperative blood loss over a span of time showed significant reduction, the hospitalization did not show any significant change. The complication rate was 6.6%. The average hospitalization cost excluding the surgeons and anesthesiologist charges was $3936.00. With these findings we have concluded that regardless of preoperative diagnosis and findings when vaginal hysterectomy is not suitable, LAVH is a viable alternative to TAH. To the best of our knowledge this is the first article discussing this particular approach.

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
    Loading ...
    Support Center