Format

Send to

Choose Destination

The late appearance of scars after burns in childhood.

Author information

1
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Tampere University Hospital, Finland.

Abstract

The late appearance of scars in children who had been burned, mainly scalded (n = 82, 90%) were analysed retrospectively from patient records and by clinical reassessment. All 91 patients who were re-examined had primarily sustained a burn of at least 5% of their total body surface area (TBSA). Only five patients showed no visible scars. The median interval between primary injury and re-examination was 17.3 years (range 6.4-30 years). Less than half of the patients (n = 36, 40%) had distinct scars without hypertrophy. The remaining 55 (60%) had either hypertrophic or constrictive scars. The scars were mostly located on the trunk (29%) and looked mainly hypertrophic (30.2%). The mean area of scars varied from 0.47% (on the neck) to 3.73% (on the left lower limb). There was no significant association between the appearance of the scar and any given method of treatment. The late cosmetic results were better than anticipated.

PMID:
9444708
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Loading ...
Support Center