Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Appl Microbiol. 1997 Nov;83(5):634-40.

Characterization of the rpsL and rrs genes of streptomycin-resistant clinical isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Japan.

Author information

1
Laboratory of Microbiology, Osaka Prefectural Institute of Public Health, Japan. katsukawa@iph.pref.osaka.jp

Abstract

Mutations in the rpsL and rrs genes associated with streptomycin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis clinically isolated in Japan were characterized. The rpsL genes of 172 clinical isolates were amplified by PCR and classified into two groups on the basis of MboII restriction digestion. Thirty-three out of 54 (61.1%) streptomycin-highly resistant isolates (MIC > 200 micrograms ml-1) were not digested by MboII. By contrast, the remaining 21 of 54 (38.9%) streptomycin-highly resistant isolates, all of 41 isolates with streptomycin resistance at a lower level (20 micrograms ml-1 < MIC < or = 200 micrograms ml-1), and all of 77 streptomycin-sensitive isolates, were restricted. Thus, all isolates resistant for MboII digestion showed a high level of resistance to streptomycin. Subsequently, the sequence for the rpsL and rrs genes from the 46 isolates were analysed. Eighteen out of 19 (94.7%) streptomycin-highly resistant isolates carried a mutation in any rpsL gene at position 43 or 88, or the rrs gene; 10 out of 17 (58.8%) streptomycin-resistant isolates at a lower level were confirmed to exhibit the mutation of either the mutated rpsL gene at position 88, or the rrs gene. In the total 36 streptomycin-resistant isolates, the mutation of the rpsL or rrs gene was observed in 28 streptomycin-resistant isolates, corresponding to 77.8%, whereas none of the streptomycin-sensitive isolates had mutations in either the rpsL or rrs gene.

PMID:
9418025
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Wiley
Loading ...
Support Center