Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Klin Oczna. 1997;99(1):21-4.

[Corneal topography of keratoconus].

[Article in Polish]

Author information

1
Katedry i I Kliniki Okulistyki AM w Lublinie.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

The present study was designed to evaluate the topography of a series of keratoconus patients.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS:

Using a computer-assisted videokeratography (Eye Sys) we determined the topographic findings of 85 eyes of 46 consecutive patients with keratoconus. We analysed some quantitative topographic parameters like: power at the apex, central corneal power, the amount of irregular astigmatism, distance between the apex and the visual axis, difference in central corneal power between the two eyes of the same individual and steepening of the inferior cornea compared with the superior cornea.

RESULTS:

Keratoconic topographic alterations were classified into two groups. Fifty seven of the cones (71%) could be described as peripheral with steepening of the cornea extending to the limbus. The remaining twenty three eyes (29%) had steepening confined to the central cornea. In many instances corneal topography was characterized by a high degree of nonsuperimposable mirror image symmetry (enantiomorphism) in the location of the topographic alterations between the two eyes of an individual patient. In all patients, irrespective of the topographic pattern, the inferior midperipheral cornea was steeper than superior cornea as quantified by an l-S value.

CONCLUSION:

Study of the topography in keratoconus using this technique may prove useful for documenting the pattern of involvement of the anterior corneal surface and providing insight into the pathogenesis of this condition.

PMID:
9379648
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center