Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Infect Dis. 1997 Feb;175(2):392-9.

Molecular comparison of group A streptococci of T1M1 serotype from invasive and noninvasive infections in Finland.

Author information

1
National Public Health Institute, Department of Bacteriology, Helsinki, Finland.

Abstract

A total of 98 isolates of group A streptococci of T1M1 serotype isolated in Finland during 1988-1995 from bacteremic, pharyngeal, and pyogenic infections were studied by molecular means. The typing techniques used included restriction endonuclease analysis, ribotyping, and random amplified polymorphic DNA analysis. Representatives of each observed genotype were also examined for carriage of the speA gene encoding for pyrogenic exotoxin A. All of the serotype T1M1 isolates studied were considered to be of a single clonal origin, and 66% were identical by all three genotyping techniques used. Among the remaining 34% of closely related isolates, 13 different genotypes were detected. All isolates studied carried the speA gene. No evidence was found of correlation of the genomic type to the severity of the infection or the time of isolation.

PMID:
9203660
DOI:
10.1093/infdis/175.2.392
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Silverchair Information Systems
Loading ...
Support Center