Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Gynecol Oncol. 1996 Oct;63(1):25-7.

A phase II Gynecologic Oncology Group trial of ifosfamide and mesna in advanced or recurrent adenocarcinoma of the endometrium.

Author information

  • 1Section of Gynecologic Oncology, Indiana University Medical School, Indianapolis, USA.


In other Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) studies, ifosfamide demonstrated antineoplastic activity against ovarian epithelial tumors, squamous carcinomas of the cervix, uterine sarcomas, and trophoblastic disease. Responses were also observed in 15% of patients with endometrial adenocarcinoma previously exposed to chemotherapy. This is a phase II trial of ifosfamide in patients with chemotherapy-naive advanced or recurrent endometrial adenocarcinoma. Thirty-seven patients with advanced adenocarcinoma of the endometrium recurrent after surgery and/or radiotherapy were treated with ifosfamide 1.2 g/m2 intravenously daily for 5 days every 4 weeks and mesna 300 mg/m2 intravenously every 4 hr for 3 doses daily for 5 days with each course. Three patients were ineligible--one due to a second primary, one did not have an endometrial primary, and the other because of wrong cell type. One patient was inevaluable for response; thus, 33 were evaluable for response. All patients had undergone hysterectomy and 24 had received radiotherapy before entering the trial. Eleven had GOG performance status of 0, 18 had a status of 1, and 4 had performance status of 2. Median age was 68 years (range, 41-86 years). Grade 3 or 4 neutropenia occurred in eight patients each and grade 3 thrombocytopenia was observed in one patient. One patient had a grade 4 neurotoxicity. Complete responses were observed in two patients (6.1%) and partial responses in six (18.2%) for an overall response rate of 24.3%. Ifosfamide in this dose and schedule is an active drug in the treatment of patients with advanced or recurrent adenocarcinoma of the endometrium.

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Support Center