Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Eur J Surg. 1993 Aug;159(8):415-20.

Primary carcinoma of the gallbladder: operative experience during a 16 year period.

Author information

1
Department of Surgery, St. Claraspital, Basel, Switzerland.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To evaluate the results of operations for primary carcinoma of the gallbladder during the 16 year period 1975-1990.

DESIGN:

Retrospective study.

SETTING:

University affiliated hospital in Switzerland.

SUBJECTS:

55 consecutive patients with primary carcinoma of the gallbladder.

INTERVENTIONS:

Resection with curative and palliative intent was done in 34 (62%) and in 10 (18%), respectively. Thirty nine (62%) had simple cholecystectomy and two (4%) radical resections; the remaining 14 (25%) had palliative operations.

RESULTS:

23 Patients (42%) had early tumours (confined to the gallbladder wall, TNM stages I and II), and 32 (58%) had late tumours (TMN stages III and IV). A tumour of the gallbladder was suspected from preoperative ultrasonography in 20 of 37 examined patients (54%); 17 (31%) had occult lesions. Five patients died during the 30 day postoperative period (9%), and the overall median survival was 8.6 months. One and five year survival rates were 40% and 7%, respectively. Only four patients had long term cures after cholecystectomy alone.

CONCLUSION:

There was a high incidence of locoregional recurrence among patients with stage II disease, and this group benefit from more radical resections. For advanced tumours, palliation alone is preferable.

PMID:
8218552
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center