Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Biochim Biophys Acta. 1995 Mar 15;1247(2):185-94.

Lipid binding and activating properties of porcine pancreatic colipase split at the Ile79-Thr80 bond.

Author information

1
Laboratoire de Biochimie, Faculté des Sciences St. Charles, Marseille, France.

Abstract

Porcine colipase, the protein cofactor of pancreatic lipase, was isolated from pancreas freshly collected on animals and from a side fraction from the production of insulin (Novo Nordisk A/S). Samples of purified colipase were analyzed for homogeneity by polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RPLC), quantitative N-terminal sequence determination and mass spectrometry. The activating properties of colipase preparations were assayed against tributyrin, triolein or the commercial Intralipid emulsion, in presence of bile salt. Two fractions of colipase with the same specific activity were purified from fresh pancreas. The major fraction (85%) contained one single protein corresponding to fragment 1-93 of the 95-residue form of colipase (procolipase) previously characterized in porcine pancreatic juice. The other fraction (15%) corresponded to fragment 1-91 of procolipase. Also, two fractions of colipase were purified from the side fraction supplied by Novo. These fractions consisted of the 95-residue proform of colipase and of fragment 1-93, respectively, both specifically cleaved at the Ile79-Thr80 peptide bond with partial removal of isoleucine at position 79 and serine at position 78. Procolipase split at the 79-80 bond retained full activity on tributyrin and triolein and on the Intralipid emulsion but the kinetics of hydrolysis of triacylglycerol substrates showed much longer lag periods than those observed with native procolipase. Also, all forms of procolipase split at the 79-80 bond showed one peak in RPLC but their retention time was markedly decreased as compared to that of native procolipase which indicated a weaker hydrophobic binding capacity. The value of the retention time was of the same order of magnitude as that of inactive reduced procolipase. Treatment of native procolipase by pancreatic endopeptidases showed that elastase is likely responsible for specific cleavage at the 79-80 bond of procolipase purified from the Novo extract. Limited proteolysis by trypsin of the proforms of colipase split at the 79-80 bond reduced the lag period. Results presented in this communication provide the first direct evidence showing that the finger-shaped peptide segment between half-cystine residues at positions 69 and 87 is involved in colipase-lipid interaction as previously hypothesized from the three-dimensional structure of the protein.

PMID:
7696307
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center