Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Natl J Maxillofac Surg. 2019 Jul-Dec;10(2):141-145. doi: 10.4103/njms.NJMS_7_19. Epub 2019 Nov 12.

Microflora analysis in the postchemotherapy patients of oral cancer.

Author information

1
Department of Microbiology, King Georges Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.
2
Department of Respiratory Medicine, King Georges Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.
3
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, King Georges Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.

Abstract

Background:

To assess changes in oral microflora in dental plaque from cancer patients within 7 days of the first course of chemotherapy and the relationship of the changes with mucositis.

Materials and Methods:

Thirty cancer patients, divided into a test group undergoing chemotherapy and a control group not undergoing chemotherapy, were enrolled in this pilot study. Oral microflora was cultured from three samples of dental plaque at t0 (before chemotherapy), t1 (1 day after chemotherapy), and t2 (7 days after chemotherapy). Single and crossed descriptive analyses were used to establish prevalence, and the Chi-square test was used to establish the statistical significance of the differences observed in distributions (significance level: P < 0.05).

Results:

In most patients (55%), oral microflora consisted mainly of Gram-positive cocci, while the remaining 45% of the bacterial flora also had periodontal-pathogenic species. No Porphyromonas gingivalis appeared in the test group. Actinobacillus was the least frequently found bacterium among periodontal pathogens in the test group, while Fusobacterium nucleatum was the most frequently found. No significant differences were found in quantitative bacterial changes between t0, t1, and t2 in either the test or control groups, or between the two groups. According to World Health Organization scores, oral mucositis developed in 10 patients (66.6%) in the test group.

Conclusions:

The results of this pilot study indicate that there were no changes in microflora in dental plaque in cancer patients within 7 days of the first course of chemotherapy. No correlations between oral mucositis and specific microorganisms were assessed.

KEYWORDS:

Cancer patients; chemotherapy; dental plaque; oral microflora

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Medknow Publications and Media Pvt Ltd Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center