Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Crit Rev Microbiol. 1985;12(1):1-44.

Animal studies of toxic shock syndrome.

Abstract

Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) was first described in 1978 and since that year over 2990 cases have been reported to the Communicable Disease Center. The estimated case-fatality rate is 5.6%. The disease is characterized by fever, hypotension, rash, desquamation, and involvement of at least three other organ systems. Approximately 85% of the cases are menstrually related and tampon use has been identified as a risk factor. The remaining 15% of the cases occur in both sexes and are not specifically related to age or geographic location. In all cases where sought there is evidence for infection by Staphylococcus aureus. Nearly all S. aureus isolates are phage type 52/29 and elaborate a unique exotoxin (toxic shock toxin). This review explores both the successful and unsuccessful attempts to induce toxic shock or a TSS-like syndrome in animals other than man. The review identifies the baboon as an animal model of TSS and discusses the clinical and pathologic sequellae, in this species, after exposure to purified toxic shock toxin.

PMID:
3160540
DOI:
10.3109/10408418509104424
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Taylor & Francis
Loading ...
Support Center