Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Niger Postgrad Med J. 2019 Jul-Sep;26(3):164-168. doi: 10.4103/npmj.npmj_56_19.

Hearing threshold of deaf pupils in Kaduna metropolis, Kaduna, Nigeria: A cross-sectional survey.

Author information

1
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital, Bauchi, Nigeria.
2
Department of Clinical Services, National Ear Care Centre, Kaduna, Nigeria.
3
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano, Nigeria.
4
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Federal Medical Center, Yola, Nigeria.

Abstract

Background:

Hearing loss in paediatric age group may be inherited, developmental or caused by maternal rubella. It may also be due to complications at birth or certain infections such as meningitis and measles. Ototoxicity and exposure to excessive noise also contribute significantly. Majority of hearing loss in children can be prevented primarily. We aimed to share our findings on assessing the hearing thresholds of pupils in deaf schools in Northwestern Nigeria.

Participants and Methods:

This was a cross-sectional study which assessed the hearing threshold of pupils in deaf schools in Kaduna metropolis, Kaduna, Nigeria. Approval was obtained from the State Ministry of Health Ethics Committee. Multi-staged sampling method was used to enrol 430 deaf pupils. Consent was obtained and a structured pre-tested questionnaire was used to generate data on the participant's biodata, history and detailed examination findings as well as pure-tone audiometry. Collated data were documented and entered into Statistical Product and Service Solutions version 20 for windows then analysed.

Results:

Mean pure-tone average of the right ear was 103.4 ± 8.3 and the left ear was 104.3 ± 8.9. Majority had bilateral profound hearing loss (99.0%). Severe hearing loss was seen in 0.9%, whereas the remaining 0.1% had moderate hearing loss. The hearing loss sensorineural in majority (97.6%) and the remaining 2.4% had mixed hearing loss. High-frequency hearing loss predominated (98.6%).

Conclusion:

Majority of the deaf pupils had bilateral, profound, sensorineural hearing loss, involving higher frequencies.

KEYWORDS:

Deaf pupils; Kaduna; hearing threshold

PMID:
31441454
DOI:
10.4103/npmj.npmj_56_19
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Medknow Publications and Media Pvt Ltd
Loading ...
Support Center