Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Asian J Transfus Sci. 2019 Jan-Jun;13(1):39-42. doi: 10.4103/ajts.AJTS_145_18.

A guide to organize voluntary stem cell donors recruitment drive for hematopoietic progenitor stem cell transplant.

Author information

1
Chimera Transplant Research Foundation, New Delhi, India.
2
GeneBandhu, New Delhi, India.
3
Amity Institute of Biotechnology, Amity University, Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India.
4
Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon, Haryana, India.
5
Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New-Zealand.
6
Amity Center for Cancer Epidemiology and Cancer Research, Amity University, Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation (HPCT) is used as a definitive treatment in hematological malignancies. For a successful HPCT, the donor and recipient should have matching human leukocyte antigens (HLAs). About 25% of patients have a chance of finding matching HLA within family, while rests 75% are dependent on voluntary stem cell donor. Globally, there are 75 stem cell registries with more than 30 million donors registered among which India represents 0.36 million. Therefore, finding a stem cell donor for Indian patient is quite difficult. The aim of the present study is to discuss the significance of voluntary stem cell donor recruitment drive and also to guide the drive organizers and their team for effectively organizing the drive to increase the database of such donors.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

Voluntary stem cell donor recruitment drives are conducted to spread awareness among the people and motivate them to register as a donor. Once the donors have given their consent, the sample is taken and sent to laboratory for HLA typing and the result is uploaded in World Marrow Donor Association, an international association of member to find the best possible matches for patients with hematological disorders.

RESULTS:

Genebandhu has organized over 127 recruitment camps since 2012 and recruited 13,000 voluntary stem cell donors. HLA typing of 7446 donors has been completed. Out of this small number of typed donors, 11 lifesaving HPCTs have been successfully facilitated.

CONCLUSIONS:

Here, we have demonstrated guidelines along with steps to organize voluntary stem cell donors recruitment drive that is needed to increase number of donors, thus increasing significantly the chances of saving many vital lives.

KEYWORDS:

Donor drive; hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation; human leukocyte antigens; stem cell donor

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Medknow Publications and Media Pvt Ltd Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center