Send to

Choose Destination
Calcif Tissue Int. 2019 May 21. doi: 10.1007/s00223-019-00563-8. [Epub ahead of print]

Long-Term Effects of Teriparatide Followed by Antiresorptive Therapy on Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Severe Spinal Osteoporosis.

Author information

Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK.
Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, UK.


Teriparatide (TPTD) is the most widely used anabolic agent in the treatment of patients with osteoporosis although its use is restricted in many countries. A recent randomised trial confirmed that TPTD was superior to risedronate at preventing vertebral fractures over a 2-year period. There is limited information on the relative effectiveness of TPTD compared with standard care in routine clinical practice. In this paper, we report the results of an extended observational study of 724 women referred to a specialist clinic with severe osteoporosis over an 11.5-year period, who were considered for TPTD therapy. Of these patients, 496 (68.5%) were treated with TPTD, whereas the remaining 228 (31.5%) received other treatments. This was either because they were unwilling or unable to self-inject (52.6%), because they had already been established on oral bisphosphonates (31.1%) or because of contraindications (12.7%). The TPTD group were younger than the standard care group (69.6 vs. 74.1 years) and had a lower 10-year fracture risk (25.7% vs. 28.6%). Those treated with TPTD had a greater increase in BMD at the lumbar spine compared with standard care (13.3% vs. 8.2%, p < 0.001) after approximately 2 years and had a lower incidence of vertebral fractures (4.8% vs. 10.1%, p = 0.01) over the course of our observation. There was no difference between groups with respect to either BMD change at the femoral neck or incidence of non-vertebral fractures. This study confirms that TPTD is superior to standard care at reducing the risk of vertebral fracture in patients with severe osteoporosis.


Observational study; Postmenopausal osteoporosis; Teriparatide


Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Springer
Loading ...
Support Center