Format

Send to

Choose Destination
BMC Gastroenterol. 2019 Apr 25;19(1):60. doi: 10.1186/s12876-019-0976-2.

Diagnostic effect of shear wave elastography imaging for differentiation of malignant liver lesions: a meta-analysis.

Author information

1
Ultrasound and Functional Diagnosis Center, Beijing Youan Hospital, Capital Medical University, No 8, Xitoutiao, Youanmenwai, Fengtai District, Beijing, 100069, China.
2
Center for Infectious Disease, Beijing Youan Hospital, Capital Medical University, No 8, Xitoutiao, Youanmenwai, Fengtai District, Beijing, 100069, China.
3
School of Biomedical Engineering, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China.
4
Center for Infectious Disease, Beijing Youan Hospital, Capital Medical University, No 8, Xitoutiao, Youanmenwai, Fengtai District, Beijing, 100069, China. whdoc@sina.com.
5
Ultrasound and Functional Diagnosis Center, Beijing Youan Hospital, Capital Medical University, No 8, Xitoutiao, Youanmenwai, Fengtai District, Beijing, 100069, China. mengfankun818@126.com.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Shear wave elastography (SWE) imaging have been proposed for characterization of focal liver lesions. We conducted a meta-analysis to evaluate the accuracy and clinical utility of SWE imaging for differentiation of malignant and benign hepatic lesions.

METHODS:

PubMed, Embase, Web of Science, and the Cochrane Library were systematically reviewed to search for studies published between January 1, 1990, and November 30, 2018. The studies published in English relating to the evaluation the diagnostic accuracy of SWE imaging for distinguishing malignant and benign liver lesions were retrieved and examined for pooled sensitivity, specificity, likelihood ratios, and diagnostic odds ratios, using bivariate random-effects models. The hierarchical summary receiver operating characteristic (HSROC) curve was estimated to assess the SWE imaging accuracy. The clinical utility of SWE imaging for differentiation of malignant liver lesions was evaluated by Fagan plot.

RESULTS:

A total of 15 studies, involving 1894 liver lesions in 1728 patients, were eligible for the meta-analysis. The pooled sensitivity and specificity for identification of malignant liver lesions were 0.82 (95% CI: 0.77-0.86) and 0.82 (95% CI: 0.76-0.87), respectively. The AUC was 0.89 (95% CI: 0.86-0.91). When the pre-test probability was 50%, after SWE imaging measurement over the cut-off value (positive result), the corresponding post-test probability for the presence of malignant liver lesions was 82%; the post-test probability was 18% after negative measurement.

CONCLUSIONS:

SWE imaging showed high sensitivity and specificity in differentiating malignant and benign liver lesions and may be promising for noninvasive evaluation of liver lesions.

TRIAL REGISTRATION:

The review was registered in the International Prospective Register of Systematic Reviews (PROSPERO): CRD42018104510 .

KEYWORDS:

Diagnosis; Elasticity imaging techniques; Liver neoplasms; Meta-analysis; Ultrasonography

PMID:
31023234
PMCID:
PMC6485138
DOI:
10.1186/s12876-019-0976-2
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for BioMed Central Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center