Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2018 Nov-Dec;8(6):508-512. doi: 10.4103/jispcd.JISPCD_238_18. Epub 2018 Nov 29.

Knowledge Analysis of Pit and Fissure Sealants among the Dental Students of South India.

Author information

1
Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, MNR Dental College and Hospital, Medak, Telangana, India.
2
Department of Oral Pathology, PSM College of Dental Sciences and Research, Akkikavu, Thrissur, India.
3
Faculty of Dentistry, AIMST University, Bedong, Kedah, Malaysia.
4
Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, MNR Dental College and Hospital, Medak, Telangana, India.
5
Department of Oral Pathology, MNR Dental College and Hospital, Medak, Telangana, India.
6
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Sree Anjaneya Institute of Dental Science, Calicut, Kerala, India.

Abstract

Aim:

This study aimed to assess the level of knowledge and attitudes for pit and fissure sealants among undergraduate Indian dental students.

Materials and Methods:

A modified questionnaire consisting of 24 items was distributed to 280 undergraduate dental students comprising males and females of different years at MNR Dental College, Sangareddy, India. Descriptive statistics and Chi-square/Fisher's exact tests were used for statistical analysis. The data were computationally tested using Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) Version 20, IBM SPSS Statistics software for Windows, Armonk, NY, USA.

Results:

With the response rate at 100%, most of the respondents, i.e., 70.4%, were females and the remaining 29.6% were male. Regarding the level of study, 20.8% were in 3rd year, 43.8% in the 4th year, and 16.8% were in 5th year (internship). The respondents showed a reasonable level of knowledge about sealants, mostly being good with the theoretical concepts of the sealants. On the other hand, respondents showed insufficient knowledge about sealants in the clinical practice.

Conclusion:

Although a high proportion of undergraduate dental students showed adequate knowledge about dental sealants, there is a lag in putting that knowledge into work during the clinical practice. These findings suggest an urgent need of dental schools to include and/or update their curriculum regarding fissure sealants to reflect modern dental education that concentrates on evidence-based practice in pediatric dentistry and improve the dental health among the future generations by reducing the incidence of caries.

KEYWORDS:

Dental students; knowledge; pit and fissure sealants; prevention

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Medknow Publications and Media Pvt Ltd Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center