Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Presse Med. 2018 Oct;47(10):878-881. doi: 10.1016/j.lpm.2018.10.005. Epub 2018 Oct 25.

[Benzodiazepine use and misuse in France].

[Article in French]

Author information

1
University of Bordeaux, Inserm, Bordeaux Population Health Research Center, team Pharmacoepidemiology, UMR 1219, 33076 Bordeaux, France; DRUGS-SAFE National Platform of Pharmacoepidemiology, 33076 Bordeaux, France. Electronic address: anne.benard@u-bordeaux.fr.
2
University of Bordeaux, Inserm, Bordeaux Population Health Research Center, team Pharmacoepidemiology, UMR 1219, 33076 Bordeaux, France; DRUGS-SAFE National Platform of Pharmacoepidemiology, 33076 Bordeaux, France; University Hospital of Bordeaux, Clinical Pharmacology, 33076 Bordeaux, France.

Abstract

Benzodiazepine use remains high in France in 2015, especially among the elders. However, encouraging trend is observed regarding hypnotic benzodiazepines initiation: between 2008 and 2015, incident use of hypnotics, including that of Z-drugs, decreased while incident use of anxiolytics remained stable. Most of new benzodiazepine users (86 %) had treatment duration that complies with guidelines. Owing to the high number of user initiating a treatment each year and associated risks, the remaining 14 % of long-term users is of concern. Roughly half of benzodiazepine users presented with comorbidities and concurrent medications increasing the risk of adverse drug reactions, especially central nervous system depressant effects.

PMID:
30454579
DOI:
10.1016/j.lpm.2018.10.005
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center