Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2018 Oct;25(10):448-454. doi: 10.1002/jhbp.584. Epub 2018 Oct 22.

Clinical characteristics and risk factors for stent-stone complex formation following biliary plastic stent placement in patients with common bile duct stones.

Author information

1
Department of Gastroenterology, Shimada Municipal Hospital, Shimada, Shizuoka, Japan.
2
Department of Internal Medicine II, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1-20-1 Handayama, Higashi-ku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, 431-3192, Japan.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Stent-stone complex (SSC) formation is one of the complications of endoscopic biliary stent placement. This study aimed to clarify the clinical characteristics and risk factors for SSC formation following plastic stent (PS) placement in patients with common bile duct (CBD) stones.

METHODS:

We retrospectively reviewed the charts of 78 patients with CBD stones who had undergone 107 biliary stent placements as palliative treatment. Demographic, historical, and stent-related data were collected and analyzed.

RESULTS:

At PS removal, SSC formations were observed in 18% of the 107 cases (SSC group) studied and not in the remaining 82% (non-SSC group). The duration of PS placement was significantly longer in the SSC group. The increase in CBD diameter during the stenting period as well as the incidence of cholangitis at PS removal was significantly greater in the SSC group. Multivariate analysis identified long-term (≥301 days) PS placement and the increase in CBD diameter during the stenting period as independent factors for SSC formation.

CONCLUSIONS:

Long-term PS placement induces a risk of SSC formation in patients with CBD stones. The increase in diameter of CBD during the period of PS placement is a predictive factor for SSC formation in this situation.

KEYWORDS:

Common bile duct stones; Increase in common bile duct diameter; Long-term plastic stent placement; Plastic stent removal; Stent-stone complex

PMID:
30289200
DOI:
10.1002/jhbp.584
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Wiley
Loading ...
Support Center