Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Curr Med Mycol. 2017 Dec;3(4):21-25. doi: 10.29252/cmm.3.4.21.

Identification of Candida species isolated from vulvovaginitis using matrix assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry.

Author information

1
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
2
Westerdijk Fungal Biodiversity Institute, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
3
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED), University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
4
Allergy Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
5
Alborzi Clinical Microbiology Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran.
6
Department of Medical Mycology, School of Medicine, Health Research Institute, Infectious and Tropical Diseases Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran.
7
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, Research Center for Cutaneous Leishmaniasis, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
8
Faculty of Engineering, Sabzevar University of New Technologies, Sabzevar, Iran.
9
Cancer Molecular Pathology Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.

Abstract

Background and Purpose:

Vulvovaginal candidiasis (VVC) is a common problem in women. The purpose of this study was to identify Candida isolates by matrix assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) from women with vulvovaginitis that were referred to Ghaem Hospital, Mashhad, Iran.

Materials and Methods:

This study was conducted on 65 clinical samples isolated from women that were referred to Ghaem Hospital. All specimens were identified using phenotyping techniques, such as microscopy and culture on Sabouraud dextrose agar and corn meal agar. In addition, all isolates were processed for MALDI-TOF MS identification.

Results:

Out of the 65 analyzed isolates, 61 (94%) samples were recognized by MALDI-TOF MS. However, the remaining four isolates (6%) had no reliable identification. According to the results, C. albicans (58.5%) was the most frequently isolated species, followed by C. tropicalis (16.9%), C. glabrata (7.7%), C. parapsilosis (7.7%), and guilliermondii (3.1%).

Conclusion:

As the findings indicated, MALDI TOF MS was successful in the identification of clinical Candida species. C. albicans was identified as the most common Candida species isolated from the women with VVC. Moreover, C. tropicalis was the most common species among the non-albicans Candida species.

KEYWORDS:

Candidiasis; Identification; MALDI-TOF MS; Vulvovaginitis

Conflict of interest statement

The authors declare no conflicts of interest. The authors are responsible for the content and writing of the paper.

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center