Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Food Chem. 2018 Aug 1;256:280-285. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.02.137. Epub 2018 Feb 27.

Optimized extraction of anthocyanins from Reid Fruits' Prunus avium 'Lapins' cherries.

Author information

1
School of Medicine, University of Tasmania, 17 Liverpool St, Hobart, Australia. Electronic address: Melanie.Blackhall@utas.edu.au.
2
School of Medicine, University of Tasmania, 17 Liverpool St, Hobart, Australia. Electronic address: Rachael.Berry@utas.edu.au.
3
Central Science Laboratory, University of Tasmania, Churchill Avenue, Sandy Bay, Australia. Electronic address: Noel.Davies@utas.edu.au.
4
School of Medicine, University of Tasmania, 17 Liverpool St, Hobart, Australia. Electronic address: Justin.Walls@utas.edu.au.

Abstract

The influence of process parameters on the extraction of anthocyanins from the edible portion of fresh, sweet cherry were investigated. The optimal extraction time and temperature were determined as 90 min and 37 °C, respectively. A solvent/solid ratio of 10 mL/g using 100% acidified solvent resulted in the greatest anthocyanin yield. No significant difference was observed between the use of methanol or ethanol as the extraction solvent. Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography-MS analysis of the extract identified four anthocyanins, with cyanidin-3-rutinoside and peonidin-3-rutinoside accounting for over 95% of the anthocyanin content, while cyanidin-3-glucoside and pelargonidin-3-rutinoside accounted for the remaining 5%. 244 mg/100 g fresh weight total anthocyanins were determined in the fresh cherries using the optimal extraction conditions.

KEYWORDS:

Anthocyanin; Extraction; Prunus avium ‘Lapins’; Sweet cherry

PMID:
29606449
DOI:
10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.02.137
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center