Send to

Choose Destination
Health Promot Perspect. 2018 Jan 7;8(1):1-14. doi: 10.15171/hpp.2018.01. eCollection 2018.

Reaching consensus: a review on sexual health training modules for professional capacity building.

Author information

Student Research Committee, Shahroud University of Medical Sciences, Shahroud, Iran.
Reproductive Biotechnology Research Center, Avicenna Research Institute (ACECR), Tehran, Iran.
Faculty of Health, University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran.
Department of Reproductive Health, Tehran university of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran.
School of Medicine, Shahroud University of Medical Sciences, Shahroud, Iran.
The Iranian National Center for Addiction Studies (INCAS), Institution for Risk Behavior Reduction, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.


Background: Professional capacity building (PCB) is the focus point in health-related subjects.The present study was conducted to systematically review the existing sexual health training modules for health care providers. Methods: The following keywords were used to search: training, education, professional capacity, practitioner, sexual health, skill education, module, course, package and curriculum.The term MESH is referred to Medical Subject Headings and the following databases were investigated: MEDLINE, EMBASE, PubMed, Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature (CINAHL), The Cochrane Library and Web of Science, Scopus, Google Scholar, SID,Magiran, and Iranmedex. All articles from 1980 to 2015 were extracted. Online modules were excluded. Considering that lesson plan was the basis of instruction, the modules were selected based on the characteristics of the lesson plans. Results: A total number of 38 published training modules in the field of sexuality we redetermined. In total, more than half of the modules (58%) were designed for medical doctor sand allied health professionals and the remaining (42%) were for nurses and midwives. Almost all the modules (97%) were introduced and utilized in developed countries, and only 3% were disseminated in developing countries. Conclusion: There are invaluable modules to build professional capacity in the field of sexual health. As a number of modules have been designed for nurses and midwifes, as the first-line health care providers, the use of these groups in sexual counseling and empowerment for sexual health is essential. No sexual health training program was designed in Iran. Therefore, designing such modules according to Iranian culture is strongly recommended.


Iran; Professional capacity building; Sexual health; Systematic review

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center