Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Oncotarget. 2017 Dec 19;9(3):4034-4043. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.23428. eCollection 2018 Jan 9.

Optimal time of tumour response evaluation and effectiveness of hypofractionated proton beam therapy for inoperable or recurrent hepatocellular carcinoma.

Author information

1
Center for Liver Cancer, Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea.

Abstract

Objective:

To evaluate the optimal time of tumour response and effectiveness of hypofractionated proton beam therapy (PBT) for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).

Results:

Overall, treatment was well tolerated with no grade toxicity ≥3. Of 71 patients, 66 patients (93%) eventually reached complete response (CR) after PBT: 93.9% (62 of 66) of patients who reached CR within 12 months, and the remaining 4 patients (6.1%) reached CR at 12.5, 16.2, 19.1 and 21.7 months, respectively. The three-year local progression-free survival (LPFS), relapse-free survival (RFS) and OS rates were 89.9%, 26.8%, and 74.4%, respectively. Multivariate analysis revealed that the tumour response was an independent prognostic factor for LPFS, RFS, and OS.

Conclusion:

Most CR was achieved within 1 year after PBT and further salvage treatments in PBT field might be postponed up to approximately 18-24 months. Hypofractionated PBT could be good alternative for HCC patients who are unsuitable for surgical or invasive treatments with curative intent.

Materials and Methods:

Seventy-one inoperable or recurrent HCC patients underwent hypofractionated PBT using 66 GyE in 10 fractions. The tumour responses were defined as the maximal tumour response observed during the follow-up period using the modified Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors criteria.

KEYWORDS:

hepatocellular carcinoma; proton beam therapy; tumour response

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Impact Journals, LLC Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center