Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Hum Cell. 2018 Jan;31(1):33-41. doi: 10.1007/s13577-017-0181-y. Epub 2017 Sep 20.

Expression profiling of microRNAs in human bone tissue from postmenopausal women.

Author information

1
Musculoskeletal Research Group, IMIM (Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute), Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Fragilidad y Envejecimiento Saludable (CIBERFES), ISCIII, C/Dr. Aiguader 88, 08003, Barcelona, Spain.
2
Department of Genetics, Microbiology and Statistics, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, IBUB, IRSJD, Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Enfermedades Raras (CIBERER), ISCIII, Barcelona, Spain.
3
Microarray Analysis Service, IMIM (Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute), Barcelona, Spain.
4
Musculoskeletal Research Group, IMIM (Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute), Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Fragilidad y Envejecimiento Saludable (CIBERFES), ISCIII, C/Dr. Aiguader 88, 08003, Barcelona, Spain. ngarcia@imim.es.

Abstract

Bone tissue is composed of several cell types, which express their own microRNAs (miRNAs) that will play a role in cell function. The set of total miRNAs expressed in all cell types configures the specific signature of the bone tissue in one physiological condition. The aim of this study was to explore the miRNA expression profile of bone tissue from postmenopausal women. Tissue was obtained from trabecular bone and was analyzed in fresh conditions (n = 6). Primary osteoblasts were also obtained from trabecular bone (n = 4) and human osteoclasts were obtained from monocyte precursors after in vitro differentiation (n = 5). MicroRNA expression profiling was obtained for each sample by microarray and a global miRNA analysis was performed combining the data acquired in all the microarray experiments. From the 641 miRNAs detected in bone tissue samples, 346 (54%) were present in osteoblasts and/or osteoclasts. The other 46% were not identified in any of the bone cells analyzed. Intersection of osteoblast and osteoclast arrays identified 101 miRNAs shared by both cell types, which accounts for 30-40% of miRNAs detected in these cells. In osteoblasts, 266 miRNAs were detected, of which 243 (91%) were also present in the total bone array, representing 38% of all bone miRNAs. In osteoclasts, 340 miRNAs were detected, of which 196 (58%) were also present in the bone tissue array, representing 31% of all miRNAs detected in total bone. These analyses provide an overview of miRNAs expressed in bone tissue, broadening our knowledge in the microRNA field.

KEYWORDS:

Bone tissue; MicroRNA; Microarrays; Osteoblast; Osteoclast

PMID:
28933035
DOI:
10.1007/s13577-017-0181-y
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Springer
Loading ...
Support Center