Format

Send to

Choose Destination
World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2017 Apr 15;9(4):176-183. doi: 10.4251/wjgo.v9.i4.176.

Incidence of venous thromboembolism and the role of D-dimer as predictive marker in patients with advanced gastric cancer receiving chemotherapy: A prospective study.

Author information

1
Kwonoh Park, Medical Oncology and Hematology, Department of Internal medicine, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Gyeongsangnam-do 50612, South Korea.

Abstract

AIM:

To investigated the incidence and risk factors of venous thromboembolism (VTE) in patients with advanced gastric cancer (AGC) receiving chemotherapy.

METHODS:

All consecutive chemotherapy-naïve patients with AGC who would receive palliative chemotherapy between November 2009 and April 2012 in our hospital were recruited. Their pretreatment clinical and laboratory variables, including D-dimer, were recorded. The frequency of VTE development and survival rates during each chemotherapy cycle and regularly thereafter were assessed.

RESULTS:

A total of 241 patients enrolled between November 2009 and April 2012 were analyzed. During a median follow-up duration of 10.8 mo (95%CI: 9.9-11.7), 27 patients developed VTE and the incidence of VTE was 17.5% (95%CI: 10.5-24.0, 12.0 events/100 person-years). The 6-mo and 1-year cumulative incidences were 7.8% (95%CI: 4.2%-11.4%) and 12.4% (95%CI: 7.3-17.2), respectively. Thirteen (48.1%) patients were symptomatic and the other 14 (51.9%) patients were asymptomatic. In multivariate analysis, pretreatment D-dimer level was the only marginally significant risk factor associated with VTE development (hazard ratio = 1.32; 95%CI: 1.00-1.75, P = 0.051).

CONCLUSION:

The incidence of VTE is relatively high in patients with AGC receiving chemotherapy, and pretreatment D-dimer level might be a biomarker for risk stratification of VTE.

KEYWORDS:

Advanced gastric cancer; D-dimer; Venous thromboembolism

Conflict of interest statement

Conflict-of-interest statement: The authors declare no conflicts of interest regarding this manuscript.

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Baishideng Publishing Group Inc. Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center