Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Acta Otolaryngol. 2017 Jul;137(7):690-694. doi: 10.1080/00016489.2017.1279346. Epub 2017 Jan 26.

Mastoid obliteration with S53P4 bioactive glass in cholesteatoma surgery.

Author information

1
a Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery , Diakonessenhuis Utrecht , Utrecht , The Netherlands.
2
b Research Support , Diakademie, Diakonessenhuis Utrecht , Utrecht , The Netherlands.

Abstract

CONCLUSION:

Evaluation of the follow-up of 67 patients shows that S53P4 bioactive glass (BAG) granules are safe and effective as obliteration material in cholesteatoma surgery.

OBJECTIVES:

To investigate the safety and efficacy of mastoid obliteration using S53P4 BAG in cholesteatoma surgery. Clinical outcomes were infection control (Merchant's grading), cholesteatoma recidivism, and audiometric performance.

METHODS:

Retrospective follow-up study at the Diakonessenhuis, Utrecht, the Netherlands. Eighteen young (age <17 years) and 49 adult (age ≥17 years) patients treated for cholesteatoma underwent tympanomastoidectomy with mastoid obliteration using S53P4 BAG in the period 2012-2015. Outcome was monitored with clinical otoscopy, otorrhea incidence measurement (Merchant's grading), DW-MRI, and audiographic performance analyses (pure tone average and air bone gap).

RESULTS:

During the follow-up period (mean = 22 months; range = 12-54 months) cholesteatoma recidivism was observed in 6% of the patients (four ears), mostly in young patients (three ears). An acceptably dry ear (Merchant grade 0-1) was achieved in 96% of all cases. The remaining 4% of cases scored a Merchant grade 2. Overall, both air conduction thresholds and air bone gap were slightly lowered when comparing post-operative values to pre-operative values and significantly in the case of ossicular reconstruction. In none of the patients (0%) did post-operative wound infections occur.

KEYWORDS:

S53P4; bioactive glass; cholesteatoma; mastoid obliteration

PMID:
28125327
DOI:
10.1080/00016489.2017.1279346
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Taylor & Francis
Loading ...
Support Center