Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Yonsei Med J. 2017 Jan;58(1):59-66. doi: 10.3349/ymj.2017.58.1.59.

Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma Sub-Typing by ARID1A Expression.

Choi JY1, Han HH1,2, Kim YT3, Lee JH1,2, Kim BG1,2, Kang S1,4, Cho NH1,2,5.

Author information

1
Department of Pathology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.
2
Brain Korea 21 Plus Project for Medical Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.
3
Department of Gynecology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.
4
Severance Biomedical Science Institute (SBSI), Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea.
5
Severance Biomedical Science Institute (SBSI), Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea. cho1988@yuhs.ac.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

Loss of AT-rich DNA-interacting domain 1A (ARID1A) has been identified as a driving mutation of ovarian clear cell carcinoma (O-CCC), a triple-negative ovarian cancer that is intermediary between serous and endometrioid subtypes, in regards to molecular and clinical behaviors. However, about half of O-CCCs still express BAF250a, the protein encoded by ARID1A. Herein, we aimed to identify signatures of ARID1A-positive O-CCC in comparison with its ARID1A-negative counterpart.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

Seventy cases of O-CCC were included in this study. Histologic grades and patterns of primary tumor, molecular marker immunohistochemistry profiles, and clinical outcomes were analyzed.

RESULTS:

Forty-eight (69%) O-CCCs did not express BAF250a, which were designated as "ARID1A-negative." The other 22 (31%) O-CCCs were designated as "ARID1A-positive." ARID1A-positive tumors were more likely to be histologically of high grades (41% vs. 10%, p=0.003), ERβ-positive (45% vs. 17%, p=0.011), and less likely to be HNF1β-positive (77% vs. 96%, p=0.016) and E-cadherin-positive (59% vs. 83%, p=0.028) than ARID1A-negative tumors. Patient age, parity, tumor stage were not significantly different in between the two groups. Cancer-specific survival was not significantly different either.

CONCLUSION:

We classified O-CCCs according to ARID1A expression status. ARID1A-positive O-CCCs exhibited distinct immunohistochemical features from ARID1A-negative tumors, suggesting a different underlying molecular event during carcinogenesis.

KEYWORDS:

AT rich interactive domain 1A (SWI- like), human; Adenocarcinoma, clear cell; endometriosis; estrogen receptor 2 (ER beta), human; ovarian neoplasms; prognosis

PMID:
27873496
PMCID:
PMC5122653
DOI:
10.3349/ymj.2017.58.1.59
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Yonsei University College of Medicine Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center