Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Ophthalmology. 1989 Apr;96(4):517-23.

Visual sensory disorders in congenital nystagmus.

Author information

1
Department of Ophthalmology, University of South Florida Medical Center College of Medicine, Tampa 33612.

Abstract

Congenital nystagmus (CN) is a common disorder indicative of a primary disturbance of the ocular motor or visual sensory systems. The authors prospectively evaluated 81 patients with CN, structurally normal eyes, and minimal or no abnormalities of the optic nerve, macula, and retinal pigment epithelium (RPE). Seventy-four (91%) patients were found to have a disorder of the visual sensory system. Thirty-four patients had albinism, 37 had a congenital or early onset disorder of the retinal photoreceptors, and 3 had abnormalities of the optic nerve. The remaining seven (9%) patients had motor CN. Most patients presenting with CN have visual loss and should be evaluated for an underlying disorder of the visual sensory system.

PMID:
2726182
DOI:
10.1016/s0161-6420(89)32864-8
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center