Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Korean J Med Educ. 2016 Jun;28(2):231-5. doi: 10.3946/kjme.2016.31. Epub 2016 May 27.

Analysis of medical student's book reports on Cronin's The Citadel: would young doctors give up ideals for prestige and wealth?

Author information

1
Peninsula Medical School, Exeter, UK.
2
Department of Plastic Surgery, Inha Research Institute for Medical Science, Inha University School of Medicine, Incheon, Korea.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this study is to find what medical students think the reward for their future work should be and whether they would keep their ideals or abandon them for prestige and wealth by analyzing the book reports of Cronin's The Citadel.

METHODS:

Participants were 50 medical students of junior class. A month before the classroom lecture, the book and digital video disk were provided. Students had discussions in groups of seven and wrote book reports which include answers of three questions.

RESULTS:

Regarding what should be the reward for the medical doctor, two-thirds of students (66.7%) answered with spiritual compensation, while one-third (33.3%) chose material reward. In the situation presented to Manson, three-fifths (60.0%) answered they would keep their ideals (idealist), while the remaining two-fifths (40.0%) decided they would abandon them. Less than one-third of students (30.0%) answered they would reveal the corruptions of the doctor's society, while two-thirds (64.0%) would not.

CONCLUSION:

The larger number of idealists who prefer spiritual reward rather than a material reward represents the innocence of youth as in portrayed in The Citadel.

KEYWORDS:

Medical students; Medicine in literature; Physicians; Reward

PMID:
27240894
PMCID:
PMC4951747
DOI:
10.3946/kjme.2016.31
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Publishing M2Community Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center