Format

Send to

Choose Destination
BMC Genomics. 2016 Mar 9;17:207. doi: 10.1186/s12864-016-2520-x.

Mapping the genomic mosaic of two 'Afro-Bolivians' from the isolated Yungas valleys.

Author information

1
Unidade de Xenética, Departamento de Anatomía Patolóxica e Ciencias Forenses, and Instituto de Ciencias Forenses, Grupo de Medicina Xenómica (GMX), Facultade de Medicina, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Calle San Francisco s/n, C.P. 15872, Galicia, Spain. j.pardoseco@gmail.com.
2
Grupo de Investigación en Genética, Vacunas, Infecciones y Pediatría (GENVIP), Hospital Clínico Universitario and Universidade de Santiago de Compostela (USC), Galicia, Spain. j.pardoseco@gmail.com.
3
Unidade de Xenética, Departamento de Anatomía Patolóxica e Ciencias Forenses, and Instituto de Ciencias Forenses, Grupo de Medicina Xenómica (GMX), Facultade de Medicina, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Calle San Francisco s/n, C.P. 15872, Galicia, Spain. heinz.tanjamaria@gmail.com.
4
Unidade de Xenética, Departamento de Anatomía Patolóxica e Ciencias Forenses, and Instituto de Ciencias Forenses, Grupo de Medicina Xenómica (GMX), Facultade de Medicina, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Calle San Francisco s/n, C.P. 15872, Galicia, Spain. pattytab@hotmail.com.
5
Grupo de Investigación en Genética, Vacunas, Infecciones y Pediatría (GENVIP), Hospital Clínico Universitario and Universidade de Santiago de Compostela (USC), Galicia, Spain. Federico.Martinon.Torres@sergas.es.
6
Infectious Diseases and Vaccines Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Hospital Clínico Universitario de Santiago, Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain. Federico.Martinon.Torres@sergas.es.
7
Unidade de Xenética, Departamento de Anatomía Patolóxica e Ciencias Forenses, and Instituto de Ciencias Forenses, Grupo de Medicina Xenómica (GMX), Facultade de Medicina, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Calle San Francisco s/n, C.P. 15872, Galicia, Spain. antonio.salas@usc.es.
8
Grupo de Investigación en Genética, Vacunas, Infecciones y Pediatría (GENVIP), Hospital Clínico Universitario and Universidade de Santiago de Compostela (USC), Galicia, Spain. antonio.salas@usc.es.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Unraveling the ancestry of 'Afro-American' communities is hampered by the complex demographic processes that took place during the Transatlantic Slave Trade (TAST) and the (post-)colonization periods. 'Afro-Bolivians' from the subtropical Yungas valleys constitute small and isolated communities that live surrounded by the predominant Native American community of Bolivia. By genotyping >580,000 SNPs in two 'Afro-Bolivians', and comparing these genomic profiles with data compiled from more than 57 African groups and other reference ancestral populations (n = 1,161 in total), we aimed to disentangle the complex admixture processes undergone by 'Afro-Bolivians'.

RESULTS:

The data indicate that these two genomes constitute a complex mosaic of ancestries that is approximately 80 % of recent African origin; the remaining ~20 % being European and Native American. West-Central Africa contributed most of the African ancestry to 'Afro-Bolivians', and this component is related to populations living along the Atlantic coast (i.e. Senegal, Ghana, Nigeria). Using tract length distribution of genomic segments attributable to distinct ancestries, we could date the time of admixture in about 400 years ago. This time coincides with the maximum importation of slaves to Bolivia to compensate the diminishing indigenous labor force needed for the development of the National Mint of Potosí.

CONCLUSIONS:

Overall, the data indicate that the genome of 'Afro-Bolivians' was shaped by a complex process of admixture occurring in America among individuals originating in different West-Central African populations; their genomic mosaics received additional contributions of Europeans and local Native Americans (e.g. Aymaras).

PMID:
26956021
PMCID:
PMC4784306
DOI:
10.1186/s12864-016-2520-x
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for BioMed Central Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center