Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016 Apr;35(4):e97-e101. doi: 10.1097/INF.0000000000001026.

Healthcare Costs of Rotavirus and Other Types of Gastroenteritis in Children in Norway.

Author information

1
From the *University of Oslo, National Evidence-based Health Care Collaborating Agency, Seoul, South Korea; †Department of Vaccines, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Oslo, Norway; and ‡Institute of Health and Society, Department of Health Management and Health Economics, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Norway has initiated a publicly funded rotavirus immunization program for all age-eligible children in 2014. We aimed to estimate the healthcare costs of rotavirus gastroenteritis in children younger than 5 years old.

METHODS:

We identified all gastroenteritis cases in children younger than 5 years old treated during 2009-2013 through the national claims database for primary care and the national hospital registry. We estimated direct medical costs of rotavirus-associated primary care consultations and hospital encounters (inpatient admission, outpatient visit and ambulatory care). We performed a range of one-way sensitivity analyses to explore uncertainty in the cost estimates.

RESULTS:

Before vaccine introduction, the mean healthcare cost of rotavirus gastroenteritis in children younger than 5 years old was €4,440,337 per year. Among rotavirus-associated costs, 92% were hospital costs and the remaining 8% were primary care costs. The mean annual cost of rotavirus-associated hospital encounters was €4,083,691, of which 95% were costs of inpatient hospital admissions. The average healthcare cost of medically attended gastroenteritis in children younger than 5 years old was approximately €8 million per year, of which rotavirus-related costs represented 56%.

CONCLUSIONS:

Healthcare costs of rotavirus gastroenteritis in Norway are substantial. The cost-effectiveness of ongoing rotavirus immunization program should be reassessed.

PMID:
26658381
DOI:
10.1097/INF.0000000000001026
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Wolters Kluwer
Loading ...
Support Center