Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Pediatr Surg Int. 2016 Jan;32(1):71-3.

Cytoreductive surgery (CRS) and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in pediatric ovarian tumors: a novel treatment approach.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

Cytoreductive surgery (CRS) and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) have been used in adults with ovarian carcinoma proving overall survival benefit in randomized trials, but measured in months. Diffuse peritoneal disease from pediatric type ovarian tumors is rare. We applied CRS and HIPEC to pediatric girls with diffuse peritoneal disease as part of a clinical trial.

METHODS:

In all patients complete cytoreduction was followed by HIPEC using 100 mg/m2 of cisplatin for 90 min in a closed technique. All received neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Patients with disease outside of the abdominal cavity were excluded.

RESULTS:

Of 101 pediatric CRS and HIPEC operations, 8 had ovarian primary tumors and multifocal peritoneal disease. There were three yolk sac tumors (germ cell, mixed teratoma), one Sertoli–Leydig, one PNET of the ovary, one choriocarcinoma, one juvenile granulosa cell tumor and one adenocarcinoma. Age ranged 4–18 years. Three of the 8 (37 %) recurred and died. The remaining 63 % are disease free 2–6 years post HIPEC. Overall survival and relapse-free survival in this cohort was 64 and 62 %, respectively [CI 0.64 (0.34, 1); 0.62 (0.37, 1)].

CONCLUSIONS:

This is the first report of CRS and HIPEC in pediatric ovarian tumors. HIPEC may be effective in pediatric-type ovarian tumors. More study is needed in a larger cohort.

PMID:
26500075
PMCID:
PMC5098267
DOI:
10.1007/s00383-015-3814-9
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Springer Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center