Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Tumour Biol. 2016 Feb;37(2):2183-91. doi: 10.1007/s13277-015-4037-3. Epub 2015 Sep 9.

Development of a multi-marker model combining HE4, CA125, progesterone, and estradiol for distinguishing benign from malignant pelvic masses in postmenopausal women.

Author information

1
Core Laboratory of Translational Medicine, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, China.
2
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, State Key Laboratory of Kidney Disease, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, China.
3
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan, China.
4
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China.
5
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Tianjin Medical University Cancer Institute and Hospital, Tianjin, China.
6
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Fudan University Shanghai Cancer Center, Shanghai, China.
7
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Sun Yat-Sen University Cancer Hospital, Guangzhou, China.
8
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Zhongshan Hospital Xiamen University, Xiamen, China.
9
Department of Clinical Laboratory, The Tumor Hospital Affiliated to XinJiang Medical University, Urumqi, China.
10
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, First Affiliated Hospital of Fujian Medical University, Fuzhou, China.
11
Core Laboratory of Translational Medicine, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, China. tianyp61@gmail.com.
12
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, State Key Laboratory of Kidney Disease, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing, China. tianyp61@gmail.com.

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to evaluate HE4, CA125, progesterone (Prog), and estradiol (E2) for differentiating pelvic masses in postmenopausal women and aimed to build a multi-marker model which may improve the diagnostic value. HE4, CA125, Prog, and E2 were detected in 57 benign pelvic masses (BPM) and 92 epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) patients. A total of 66.66 % of the BPM and EOC serum samples were used for building the differentiation model, and the remaining 33.33 % of the BPM and EOC serum samples were used for validation of the differentiation model. After comparing by Z score statistics, HE4 + CA125 + E2 model was chosen as the best multi-marker model. In the training group, the area under curve of the HE4 + CA125 + E2 model was 0.97 (0.93, 1.00), sensitivities of the model for distinguishing BPM from EOC, from early EOC, and from advanced EOC were 90.16, 86.21, and 95.65 %; specificities were 92.11, 92.11, and 92.11 %. In the validation group, sensitivities of HE4 + CA125 + E2 model for distinguishing BPM from EOC, from early EOC, and from advanced EOC were 96.77, 100.00, and 87.50 %, specificities were 84.21, 100.00, and 84.21 %. The multi-marker model showed significant improvement when compared to CA125 or HE4, and it might be an effective pelvic mass differentiation method.

KEYWORDS:

Carbohydrate antigen 125; Epithelial ovarian cancer; Estradiol; Human epididymis protein 4; Pelvic mass; Progesterone

PMID:
26349751
DOI:
10.1007/s13277-015-4037-3
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Springer
Loading ...
Support Center