Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Transpl Int. 2015 Oct;28(10):1216-26. doi: 10.1111/tri.12630. Epub 2015 Jul 22.

Extrahepatic arteries of the human liver - anatomical variants and surgical relevancies.

Author information

1
Department of Transplantation and Surgery, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary.
2
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK.
3
Department of Human Morphology and Developmental Biology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary.
4
Department of Radiology and Oncotherapy, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary.

Abstract

The purpose of our study was to investigate the anatomical variations of the extrahepatic arterial structures of the liver with particular attention to rare variations and their potential impact on liver surgery. A total of 50 human abdominal organ complexes were used to prepare corrosion casts. A multicomponent resin mixture was injected into the abdominal aorta. The portal vein was injected with a different colored resin in 16 cases. Digestion of soft tissues was achieved using cc. KOH solution at 60-65 °C. Extrahepatic arterial variations were classified according to Michels. All specimens underwent 3D volumetric CT reconstruction. Normal anatomy was seen in 42% of cases, and variants were seen in the other 58%. No Michels type VI or X variations were present; however, in 18% of cases the extrahepatic arterial anatomy did not fit into Michels' classification. We report four new extrahepatic arterial variations. In contrast to the available data, normal anatomy was found much less frequently, whereas the prevalence of unclassified arterial variations was higher. We detected four previously unknown variations. Our data may contribute to the reduction of complications during surgical and radiological interventions in the upper abdomen.

KEYWORDS:

anatomy; hepatic artery; liver graft; liver transplantation; variation

PMID:
26152659
DOI:
10.1111/tri.12630
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Wiley
Loading ...
Support Center