Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Fetal Diagn Ther. 2015;37(4):274-80. doi: 10.1159/000365919. Epub 2015 Feb 14.

Pre-Operative Twin Anemia/Polycythemia in the Setting of Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome (TTTS).

Author information

1
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif., USA.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Twin-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) and twin anemia-polycythemia sequence (TAPS) are classified as distinct clinical disorders associated with unbalanced blood flow through placental vascular communications. Typically, TAPS placentas demonstrate few <1 mm arteriovenous (AV) communications, and at fetoscopy the twins are visibly pale and plethoric.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

In a cohort of TTTS patients who underwent laser surgery, those with preoperative findings suggestive of anemia/polycythemia (AP) were compared to those with TTTS alone. AP was defined as middle cerebral artery peak systolic velocity in one twin >1.5 multiples of the median (MoM), and <1.0 MoM in the other.

RESULTS:

Of 369 TTTS patients, 9 (2.4%) met criteria for preoperative AP. The mean number (±SD) of AV communications in the TTTS + AP group was 5.6 ± 5.7, compared with 8.8 ± 4.8 in the TTTS-alone group (p = 0.013). Five TTTS + AP patients (56%) had a few thin AV communications (mean 2.8 ± 1.6); all 5 had visibly pale and plethoric twins. The remaining 4 (44%) had large or numerous anastomoses (mean 10.5 ± 6.8); none had fetal skin color discordance.

DISCUSSION:

Preoperative AP affected 2% of TTTS patients. Of these, approximately half had placental and skin color findings typically reported with isolated TAPS.

PMID:
25721425
DOI:
10.1159/000365919
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for S. Karger AG, Basel, Switzerland
Loading ...
Support Center