Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Clin Radiol. 2015 Apr;70(4):395-9. doi: 10.1016/j.crad.2014.12.004. Epub 2015 Jan 31.

Benign (BI-RADS 2) lesions in breast MRI.

Author information

1
Department of Biomedical Imaging and Image-guided Therapy, Division of Molecular and Gender Imaging, Medical University of Vienna (AKH), Waehringer-Guertel 18-20, 1090 Vienna, Austria. Electronic address: claudio.spick@meduniwien.ac.at.
2
Diagnostikum Graz-Südwest, Weblinger Guertel 25, 8054 Graz, Austria. Electronic address: dieter.szolar@diagnostikum-graz.at.
3
Diagnostikum Graz-Südwest, Weblinger Guertel 25, 8054 Graz, Austria.
4
Department of Biomedical Imaging and Image-guided Therapy, Division of Molecular and Gender Imaging, Medical University of Vienna (AKH), Waehringer-Guertel 18-20, 1090 Vienna, Austria. Electronic address: pascal.baltzer@meduniwien.ac.at.

Abstract

AIM:

To assess the frequency of malignancy in lesions characterized as benign [Breast Imaging-Reporting and Data System (BI-RADS) 2] on breast MRI.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

In this institutional review board-approved retrospective single-centre study, 1265 consecutive patients (mean age 50 ± 13 years), undergoing dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI (1.5 T) of the breast during a 6 year time period, were eligible. This study investigated the MRI characteristics and frequency of malignancy in 192 of these patients with breast lesions classified as BI-RADS 2. Examinations were read during clinical practice and classified according to the MRI BI-RADS lexicon. Based on the patient's and referring physician's preferences, lesions were either histopathologically verified or were subjected to both clinical and imaging follow-up of at least 2 years (range 2-9 years). Descriptive statistical metrics were calculated.

RESULTS:

According to the standard of reference, 0 of 192 (0%) lesions classified as BI-RADS 2 were malignant. Histopathology was available in 67 (34.9%) lesions and revealed benign findings exclusively. The remaining 125 (65.1%) lesions did not exhibit changes during the follow-up period and were, therefore, considered negative for malignancy.

CONCLUSIONS:

The frequency of malignancy in breast lesions classified as BI-RADS 2 is zero. As a consequence, breast biopsies are unnecessary in these cases.

PMID:
25649442
DOI:
10.1016/j.crad.2014.12.004
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center