Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Telemed Telecare. 2014 Oct;20(7):413-8. doi: 10.1177/1357633X14552389.

Experience with scaling up the Victorian Stroke Telemedicine programme.

Author information

1
Stroke Division, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, Melbourne, Australia Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Clayton, Australia Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia.
2
Stroke Division, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, Melbourne, Australia.
3
Stroke Division, Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, Melbourne, Australia Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University, Clayton, Australia chris.bladin@florey.edu.au.

Abstract

Telemedicine can be used to increase access to stroke thrombolysis in rural hospitals but is not widely used for this purpose in Australia. The Victorian Stroke Telemedicine (VST) programme commenced in one hospital in 2011, and is being expanded to a further 15 hospitals. The present study summarises progress in scaling up the VST programme from one to four hospitals. Patient and clinical consultation quantitative data obtained from 1 March 2014 until 30 June 2014 were reviewed. By August 2014, the VST programme was operational at the four hospital sites. During the period 1 March 2014 to 30 June 2014, a total of 42 patients (14 female) at three hospitals received a VST consultation. Seven patients were recommended to receive tPA, and six were treated. Of the 42 initial calls made to the VST, 14 (33%) resulted in a video consultation and 28 (67%) were telephone only. For the 28 cases receiving a telephone-only consultation, 21 (75%) were deemed not to require a video consultation by the neurologist. The remaining seven consultations (25%) were telephone-only due to technical problems experienced with the telemedicine equipment. The preliminary results from the expansion of the VST programme to the three hospitals provides evidence of appropriate use, with almost 70% of the telemedicine consultations resulting in a diagnosis of stroke.

PMID:
25400003
DOI:
10.1177/1357633X14552389
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Atypon
Loading ...
Support Center