Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Clin Ultrasound. 2015 Feb;43(2):113-7. doi: 10.1002/jcu.22246. Epub 2014 Oct 18.

Diabetic mastopathy: a diagnostic challenge in breast sonography.

Author information

1
DIM, Interdisciplinary Department of Medicine, Section of Diagnostic Imaging, Aldo Moro University of Bari Medical School, Piazza Giulio Cesare 11, 70124, Bari, Italy.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

Our purpose was to retrospectively evaluate the incidence and morphologic features of diabetic mastopathy in a group of patients with diabetes, searching for specific sonographic characteristics of diabetic mastopathy.

METHODS:

One hundred twenty diabetic patients underwent breast clinical examination, mammography, and sonography. All detected breast lesions were confirmed histopathologically.

RESULTS:

Breast lesions were found in 11 of the 120 patients (9%), including two cases of invasive ductal carcinomas and nine cases of diabetic mastopathy. In seven of those nine cases (77%), diabetic mastopathy appeared as a hypoechoic solid mass with irregular margins, inhomogeneous echotexture, and marked posterior shadowing. In the other two cases (23%), it appeared as a mildly inhomogeneous, hypoechoic solid mass.

CONCLUSIONS:

Diabetic mastopathy is a diagnostic challenge and needs to be suspected in all patients with diabetes mellitus. Imaging features are nonspecific and highly susggestive on breast sonography in most cases. Core-needle biopsy confirmation remains mandatory for a definitive diagnosis.

KEYWORDS:

breast; diabetes; mastopathy; pitfalls; ultrasonography

PMID:
25327165
DOI:
10.1002/jcu.22246
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Wiley
Loading ...
Support Center