Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015 Jan;59(1):25-37. doi: 10.1128/AAC.03861-14. Epub 2014 Oct 13.

Mass balance, metabolite profile, and in vitro-in vivo comparison of clearance pathways of deleobuvir, a hepatitis C virus polymerase inhibitor.

Author information

1
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA.
2
Covance Clinical Research Unit, Inc., Madison, Wisconsin, USA.
3
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA rucha.sane@boehringer-ingelheim.com.

Abstract

The pharmacokinetics, mass balance, and metabolism of deleobuvir, a hepatitis C virus (HCV) polymerase inhibitor, were assessed in healthy subjects following a single oral dose of 800 mg of [(14)C]deleobuvir (100 μCi). The overall recovery of radioactivity was 95.2%, with 95.1% recovered from feces. Deleobuvir had moderate to high clearance, and the half-life of deleobuvir and radioactivity in plasma were ∼ 3 h, indicating that there were no metabolites with half-lives significantly longer than that of the parent. The most frequently reported adverse events (in 6 of 12 subjects) were gastrointestinal disorders. Two major metabolites of deleobuvir were identified in plasma: an acyl glucuronide and an alkene reduction metabolite formed in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract by gut bacteria (CD 6168), representing ∼ 20% and 15% of the total drug-related material, respectively. Deleobuvir and CD 6168 were the main components in the fecal samples, each representing ∼ 30 to 35% of the dose. The majority of the remaining radioactivity found in the fecal samples (∼ 21% of the dose) was accounted for by three metabolites in which deleobuvir underwent both alkene reduction and monohydroxylation. In fresh human hepatocytes that form biliary canaliculi in sandwich cultures, the biliary excretion for these excretory metabolites was markedly higher than that for deleobuvir and CD 6168, implying that rapid biliary elimination upon hepatic formation may underlie the absence of these metabolites in circulation. The low in vitro clearance was not predictive of the observed in vivo clearance, likely because major deleobuvir biotransformation occurred by non-CYP450-mediated enzymes that are not well represented in hepatocyte-based in vitro models.

PMID:
25313217
PMCID:
PMC4291358
DOI:
10.1128/AAC.03861-14
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free PMC Article

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for HighWire Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center