Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016 Feb;24(2):593-600. doi: 10.1007/s00167-014-2848-1. Epub 2014 Feb 1.

Midterm outcomes of arthroscopic remplissage for the management of recurrent anterior shoulder instability.

Author information

1
2nd Orthopaedic Department, Shoulder Arthroscopy and Surgery Center, IASO General Hospital, 44-46 Str. Sevastopoulou, 115 24, Athens, Greece. emmanuel.brilakis@gmail.com.
2
2nd Orthopaedic Department, Shoulder Arthroscopy and Surgery Center, IASO General Hospital, 44-46 Str. Sevastopoulou, 115 24, Athens, Greece. eliasmataragas@gmail.com.
3
2nd Orthopaedic Department, Shoulder Arthroscopy and Surgery Center, IASO General Hospital, 44-46 Str. Sevastopoulou, 115 24, Athens, Greece. delitasos@hotmail.com.
4
Department of Radiology, IASO General Hospital, Athens, Greece. vmaniatis67@gmail.com.
5
2nd Orthopaedic Department, Shoulder Arthroscopy and Surgery Center, IASO General Hospital, 44-46 Str. Sevastopoulou, 115 24, Athens, Greece. manosanton@gmail.com.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

The purpose of the study was to present midterm results concerning the management of recurrent anterior shoulder instability with the remplissage technique in addition to the classic Bankart repair, in patients with engaging Hill-Sachs lesions.

METHODS:

During a time period of 4 years (January 2007-December 2010), 48 patients with an average age of 28.9 ± 7.8 years were operated on in our department. They all had a positive apprehension sign pre-operatively and satisfied the inclusion criteria of this study. Seventy-nine per cent of these patients were involved in sport activities of different levels. The mean follow-up period was 37.2 ± 9.9 months.

RESULTS:

Three patients (6.3 %) had suffered a new dislocation: one of them after a low-energy trauma and the two other after a high-energy trauma. The rest of the patients (93.7 %) were satisfied with the surgical result and returned to their previous everyday activities while 70.8 % continued to participate in sporting activities without restrictions. The ASES score increased from 67.7 ± 21.5 points pre-operatively to 90.8 ± 21.7 points post-operatively (p < 0.01), the modified Rowe score from 38 ± 17.3 to 93.8 ± 14.5 (p < 0.001) and the Oxford Instability score from 27.6 ± 11.1 to 45.1 ± 8.3 (p < 0.001). No significant restriction in shoulder range of motion was documented.

CONCLUSIONS:

The outcome of the enhancement of the classic Bankart repair with tenodesis of the infraspinatus and posterior capsular plication is very good as far as the management of recurrent anterior shoulder instability is concerned, without significantly influencing the range of motion of the shoulder.

LEVEL OF EVIDENCE:

Therapeutic study-case series with no comparison group, Level IV.

KEYWORDS:

Arthroscopy; Engaging Hill–Sachs lesion; Recurrent anterior shoulder instability; Remplissage; Shoulder

PMID:
24488221
DOI:
10.1007/s00167-014-2848-1
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Springer
Loading ...
Support Center