Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Med Clin (Barc). 2013 Sep;141 Suppl 2:26-30. doi: 10.1016/S0025-7753(13)70060-5.

[Contribution of the kidney to glucose homeostasis].

[Article in Spanish]

Author information

1
Unidad de Hipertensión Arterial, Servicio de Nefrología, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, España. Electronic address: hta@juliansegura.com.
2
Unidad de Hipertensión Arterial, Servicio de Nefrología, Hospital Universitario 12 de Octubre, Madrid, España.

Abstract

The kidney is involved in glucose homeostasis through three major mechanisms: renal gluconeogenesis, renal glucose consumption, and glucose reabsorption in the proximal tubule. Glucose reabsorption is one of the most important physiological functions of the kidney, allowing full recovery of filtered glucose, elimination of glucose from the urine, and prevention of calorie loss. Approximately 90% of the glucose is reabsorbed in the S1 segment of the proximal tubule, where glucose transporter-2 (GLUT2) and sodium-glucose transporter-2 (SGLT2) are located, while the remaining 10% is reabsorbed in the S3 segment by SGLT1 and GLUT1 transporters. In patients with hyperglycemia, the kidney continues to reabsorb glucose, thus maintaining hyperglycemia. Most of the renal glucose reabsorption is mediated by SGLT2. Several experimental and clinical studies suggest that pharmacological blockade of this transporter might be beneficial in the management of hyperglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes.

KEYWORDS:

Diabetes tipo 2; Glucose homeostasis; Homeostasis de la glucosa; Reabsorción renal de glucosa; Renal glucose reabsortion; Type 2 diabetes

PMID:
24444521
DOI:
10.1016/S0025-7753(13)70060-5
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Ediciones Doyma, S.L.
Loading ...
Support Center