Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014 Mar;69(3):749-52. doi: 10.1093/jac/dkt408. Epub 2013 Oct 17.

Viro-immunological response and emergence of resistance in HIV-infected women receiving combination antiretroviral regimens for the prevention of mother-to-child transmission in Malawi.

Author information

1
Department of Biomedicine and Prevention, University of Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, 00133 Rome, Italy.

Abstract

OBJECTIVES:

To identify factors associated with detectable viral load and the emergence of drug resistance in a cohort of HIV-infected pregnant women in Malawi receiving antiretroviral combination regimens for the prevention of mother-to-infant transmission.

METHODS:

The study included 260 treatment-naive women who had received a three-drug nevirapine-based regimen from week 25 of gestational age until 6 months after delivery. HIV RNA was determined at month 6 and drug resistance was assessed if viral load was >50 copies/mL. Attendance at the scheduled follow-up visits was used as an indirect measure of treatment adherence.

RESULTS:

The rate of detectable HIV RNA at 6 months was 9.6% (25/260). The only significant predictor of this occurrence was the presence of ≥1 missed visit during follow-up (P = 0.012). Resistance was assessed in 19 of these women: 7 (37%) had a wild-type virus and the other 12 (63%) had resistance-associated mutations (nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor, 7/12; non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor, 11/12). Three of 12 cases (25%) in which mutations were detected had a viral load <1000 copies/mL. The emergence of resistance was not correlated with the presence of baseline mutations in either plasma or archived DNA.

CONCLUSIONS:

In this cohort of women, detectable HIV RNA 6 months post-partum was infrequent and associated with low adherence to the treatment programme. Mutations were present in 63% of the women with detectable viral load at 6 months who had samples available for resistance testing. The impact of resistance on treatment re-initiation in women discontinuing drugs after the risk of transmission has ceased can be limited.

KEYWORDS:

antiretroviral therapy; breastfeeding; drug resistance; pregnancy

PMID:
24135952
DOI:
10.1093/jac/dkt408
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Silverchair Information Systems
Loading ...
Support Center