Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Genet Med. 2014 Apr;16(4):286-93. doi: 10.1038/gim.2013.138. Epub 2013 Oct 10.

Determining pathogenicity of genetic variants in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: importance of periodic reassessment.

Author information

  • 11] Agnes Ginges Centre for Molecular Cardiology, Centenary Institute, Sydney, Australia [2] Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
  • 21] Agnes Ginges Centre for Molecular Cardiology, Centenary Institute, Sydney, Australia [2] Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia [3] Department of Cardiology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

Major advances have been made in our understanding and clinical application of genetic testing in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Determining pathogenicity of a single-nucleotide variant remains a major clinical challenge. This study sought to reassess single-nucleotide variant classification in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy probands.

METHODS:

Consecutive probands with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with a reported pathogenic mutation or variation of uncertain significance were included. Family and medical history were obtained. Each single-nucleotide variant was reassessed by a panel of four reviewers for pathogenicity based on established criteria together with updated cosegregation data and current population-based allele frequencies.

RESULTS:

From 2000 to 2012, a total of 136 unrelated hypertrophic cardiomyopathy probands had genetic testing, of which 63 (46%) carried at least one pathogenic mutation. MYBPC3 (n = 34; 47%) and MYH7 (n = 23; 32%) gene variants together accounted for 79%. Five variants in six probands (10%) were reclassified: two variation of uncertain significance were upgraded to pathogenic, one variation of uncertain significance and one pathogenic variant were downgraded to benign, and one pathogenic variant (found in two families) was downgraded to variation of uncertain significance. None of the reclassifications had any adverse clinical consequences.

CONCLUSION:

Given the rapid growth of genetic information available in both disease and normal populations, periodic reassessment of single-nucleotide variant data is essential in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

PMID:
24113344
DOI:
10.1038/gim.2013.138
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Nature Publishing Group
    Loading ...
    Support Center