Format

Send to

Choose Destination
GMS Hyg Infect Control. 2013 Apr 29;8(1):Doc03. doi: 10.3205/dgkh000203. eCollection 2013.

Detection of the intercellular adhesion gene cluster (ica) in clinical Staphylococcus aureus isolates.

Author information

1
Medical Microbiology Department, Antimicrobial Resistance Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Iran University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran.

Abstract

in English, German

Staphylococcus aureus is a major hospital and community pathogen having the aptitude to cause a wide variety of infections in men. The ability of microorganisms to produce biofilm facilitates them to withstand the host immune response and is recognized as one factor contributing to chronic or persistent infections. It was demonstrated that the ica-encoded genes lead to the biosynthesis of polysaccharide intercellular adhesion (PIA) molecules, and may be involved in the accumulation phase of biofilm formation. Different studies have shown the decisive role of the ica gene as virulence factors in staphylococcal infections. This study was carried out to demonstrate the relationship between ica gene and production of slime layer in S. aureus strains. Sixty S. aureus strains were isolated from patients. The isolates were identified morphologically and biochemically following standard laboratory methods. After identification, the staphylococcal isolates were maintained in trypticase soy broth (TSB), to which 15% glycerol was added, and stored at -20°C. Slime formation and biofilm assay was monitored. A PCR assay was developed to identify the presence of icaD (intercellular adhesion gene) gene in all isolates. Thirty-nine slime producing colonies with CRA plates (65%) formed black colors, the remaining 21 isolates were pink (35%). In the quantitative biofilm assay 35 (58%) produced biofilm while 25 (42%) isolates did not exhibit this property. All isolates were positive for detection of icaD gene by PCR method. The interaction of icaA and icaD in the investigated isolates may be important in slime layer formation and biofilm phenomena. We propose PCR detection of the ica gene locus as a rapid and effective method to be used for discrimination between potentially virulent and nonvirulent isolates, with implications for therapeutic and preventive measures pertainin to the management of colonized indwelling catheters.

KEYWORDS:

PCR detection; Staphylococcus aureus; biofilm; intercellular adhesion gene

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for German Medical Science GMS Publishing House Icon for PubMed Central
Loading ...
Support Center