Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Clin Neurosci. 2013 Sep;20(9):1250-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2012.10.028. Epub 2013 Jul 23.

Anterior cervical discectomy plus intervertebral polyetheretherketone cage fusion over three and four levels without plating is safe and effective long-term.

Author information

1
Department of Neurological Surgery, The West Wing, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, OX3 9DU, United Kingdom. eacp@eacp.co.uk

Abstract

Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) is an established treatment for single-level cervical spondylotic myelopathy and radiculopathy, yet its stand-alone use for multi-level disease of the subaxial cervical spine remains controversial. We report a prospectively studied case series of 30 patients receiving polyetheretherketone (PEEK) cage fusion over three and four cervical levels without anterior plating. Seven (23.3%) four-level procedures (all C3 to C7) were performed, the other 23 (76.7%) being three-level, with 19 (64.4%) at C4 to C7 and four (12.3%) at C3 to C6. Long-term follow-up of more than 2 years was available in 67% of patients. This cohort showed statistically significant improvements in visual analogue score for neck pain (p=0.0006), arm pain (p=0.0003) and Japanese Orthopaedic Association myelopathy score (p=0.002). Fused segment heights increased by 0.6-1.1%. Adjacent segment disease requiring ACDF at C3-4 was seen in 6.7% of patients (one after trauma) at a mean follow-up of 62 months. Same segment recurrence requiring posterior decompression with instrumented fusion was found in 10% of patients at a mean follow-up of 49 months, only one of whom had radiological evidence of cage subsidence. The results suggest the procedure is safe and effective with potentially less morbidity than anterior plating, shorter inpatient stays than posterior approaches, acceptable same segment recurrence and lower than predicted adjacent segment disease rates.

KEYWORDS:

ACDF; Adjacent segment disease; Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion; Complications; Long-term follow-up; Multi-level; PEEK

PMID:
23890411
DOI:
10.1016/j.jocn.2012.10.028
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center